- North Beach – one of San Francisco’s neighborhoods
- South Beach – one of Florida’s well known beaches
- Lower East Side – a common response for New Yorkers answering where they live
- South Park – the potty-mouth cartoon
- When I was attending Cal, we had
- South side and North side – representing areas in relation to campus
- West Side (Story) – the well known musical that’s a take on Romeo & Juliet
They do have a good ring to them.
At the same time, I never hear:
- East Beach
- West Beach
- West Park
- or East Park
although a quick Google search reveals that they do exist.
However, I do note that Google’s results are thus:
- North Side – 36,800,000
- East Side – 44,200,000
- South Side – 93,800,000
- West Side – 53,500,000
South Side seems to be more popular (or populous on the web), as is South Park.
Anyway, something maybe to bring up if you find yourself caught in an awkward silence over Thanksgiving.
(Northeast Side exists, too, but has barely 800,000 results – so clearly, nothing to write home about).
Photo by Leo Reynolds